Tips on Sanitisation and Disinfection
Posted by Muzi On 28 Apr, 2020
With the current rapid spread of the COVID-19 virus, it is during these times and such situations that we must focus on maintaining hygiene within our homes by practicing good Sanitisation and disinfection practices.
Since there is no proper cure for this virus, the only suggestion given by experts is to maintain hygiene and practice social distancing.
Difference between Sanitisation & Disinfection:
Most people are under the misconception that Sanitisation and disinfection are the same processes, however, they are both different! Sanitisation involves using products to lower the number of germs present while disinfection involves killing the germs. A sanitising product takes around 30 seconds to sanitize the area while a disinfectant takes around 10 minutes to work completely and eliminate the germs and viruses present.
Keeping the current situation in mind, you might find yourself confused as to when to sanitise and when to disinfect, but fear not, we are here to simplify it for you! Before leaving the house or whenever you touch any doors or objects when you are out always sanitise your hands with a sanitiser, but if you have just come home from being out, it is important to disinfect your floor and doors as well as anything that could have come in contact.
Importance to Disinfect your Home or Workplace:
Germs and viruses, including the coronavirus, is known to latch on to objects for up to hours, you may never know what or who might be infected.
As the saying goes, precaution is better than cure. This is why it is essential to sanitise and disinfect your home and workplace whenever you get the chance and as often as you can to keep your family, your employees, and loved ones safe.
So far the most effective way to avoid getting infected is to follow good sanitising and disinfecting practices and by using effective products.
Cleaning and Sanitisation Tips for your Home:
- While cleaning your home, do not forget to wear protective gear like a mask and gloves. If it is non-reusable, then dispose of it at once when you finish the work and wash your hands at once.
- Before you use a disinfectant, make sure you clean the surface first with a detergent.
- For cleaning hard surfaces, use alcohol-based solutions having 70% alcohol content or bleach. After cleaning the place, let it air out.
- Let your room ventilate by keeping the windows open and letting in the sunlight and fresh air.
- Do not forget to clean your kitchen table before preparing any meal.
- Use steam and bleach while washing your clothes to kill any germs.
- If you use a dishwasher, you can use the Sanitisation cycle in your dishwasher machine to sanitise your dishes.
Cleaning and Sanitisation Tips for your Workplace:
If you aren't given the option to work from home or if your job is a part of the essential services, then there are a few protective measures to take to clean your workplace and stay safe from the virus.
- While working with clients or your employees, ensure you use protective gear like gloves and masks if you have to come directly in contact with them.
- Regularly clean your work area and all the objects and furniture in your workplace.
- Do not forget to disinfect your electronics like your laptop, mobile phones, fax machines, printers, etc. at your workplace.
- Thoroughly wash your cutlery and other items in your workplace pantry, before you use them.
- Only use your own materials at your workplace and try not to borrow any material from others.
- Manage your waste very carefully and avoid touching garbage or garbage bins and even if you do so, wash your hands well and sanitise your hands well.
- Keep your workplace well ventilated and aired out.
- Maintain a schedule to regularly clean your home and work place time and again.
- Use heavy protective gear and products whenever you are cleaning or working.
- Use only alcohol solutions that contain 70% alcohol content.
- Read the instructions mentioned on the disinfection bottle before starting the process and follow the steps accordingly.
Now that you are well aware of the importance of disinfection and the different ways you can disinfect your workplace, we hope you follow these steps to lead a secure life.