Termite Protection Melbourne
Terminating the termite issue from your home
You want to lose them, we want to find them!
The History of Termite Protection in Australia:
Before the use of chemical treatments to eradicate termite infestations, Melbourne and other such areas that were prone to such problems were built in a manner to avoid it in the first place. This was done by raising the floor above ground level giving birth to the "Melburnians" type of houses while ant caps(steel caps) were fixed to the piers top portion to ensure that any termite building activity was spotted before the house was attacked. Regular inspections were necessary of course.
From the end of the 1950s to the beginning of the 1960s, the application of chemical treatments such as pesticides emerged while builders covered concrete slabs with these pesticides to build the house over it. This new building style seemed to work better than the old termite prevention measures and hence it was considered the key way to building homes.
The disturbing problems of facing side effects from the use of chemicals began to cause fear among people in the 1970s and the 1980s while people resorted to avoiding the use of pesticides in beginning of the1990s. The industry of construction then suffered from a stage of confusion as to how to build the ideal home in termite-prone areas while preventing the problem as no other substitute for pesticides seemed to work.
For a while, homeowners remained ignorant of the problem and how to prevent the same as new homes that were constructed were unequipped with prevention methods for the same.
Soon after new methods and products started to hit market shelves and although they weren't as effective as the pesticides that were first introduced, they also didn't possess the side effects as bad as the same.
One of the most significant milestones was that of monolithic slabs, this was because the formation of the slab encouraged it to be a non-destructible barrier against these insects while exposing any of their mud like formations upon itself. This resolution still possesses many limitations.
There have been many forms of progress since then including pre-impregnated termiticidal blankets, non-repellent termiticides, Termite interception and colony elimination systems along with upgrading the level and methods of inspection.
In today's day there exist modern removal and control techniques that need to be performed by certified and trained professionals.
All you need to know about termites in Australia:
Most homeowners do not realise they have these pesky little insects until the infestation gets very bad. The most important species of these pests live underground in a group of two million that each travel up to 50 meters away from their nest in search of food.
These pests are known to travel in into and through your home using mud tunnels to hide their activity. They are also known to start devouring walls, furniture or other parts of your home by eating it from the inside out. Even homes built on concrete slabs suffer such a threat.
The Protection Methods
As the above has already proved, termites are a major threat to the well-being of every home in Melbourne and even though most methods may seem unsuccessful, we do have a few effective methods of getting rid of these home devouring creatures. Below are a few listed methods that can prove effective in protecting your home:
- Termite monitoring: This method helps experts regularly check to see if termites are trying to get into your home.
- Chemical termite barriers: This method can be used at any stage of a buildings life and not necessarily only for new constructions.
- Physical termite barriers: These are specifically created to prevent these insects from getting near the structure and to drive them out in the open to be spotted instead. These stop subterranean termites from gaining access to your home.
- The reticulation system: This makes reapplying the chemical barrier to prevent these pesky creatures in a easier manner.
Tips and Tricks For Termite Prevention
- Follow instructions provided to you by your builder and pest control service.
- Having a termite barrier installed and refrain from disturbing it.
- For homes built on concrete slabs, ensure that all parts of the slab are left open in order to be able to immediately notice any kind of activity by these property destructing creatures.
- Refrain from storing any kind of debris, timber or other cellulose material against the subfloor, near external walls of your home or base of your home as termites, can be drawn to the same.
- Ensure there is no moisture and all surrounding areas are dry including vents to sub-floor areas.
- Avoid having any leaking pipes or taps by getting them repaired as soon as they start leaking.
- Do not use any kind of untreated wood or timber.
- Involve your pest control service in any changes you plan on making to your home.
- Ensure the overflows of your air conditioner or hot water are directed away from your house and properly disposed of.
- Refrain from allowing plants to grow against the structure of your home no matter how much of a greenery lover you are.
- Have dead trees, stumps or plant waste removed from your property.
- Regularly check termite shielding and maintain the same without adding any changes to it.
- Refrain from having house-connecting constructions built like verandahs or pergolas.
- In case of any constructions ensure that the timber formwork is removed and disposed of correctly.
- Have all timber fence and support posts constructed with a 50mm clearance between the timbers and soil.
Why choose Protech Pest control services?
Protech Pest control is a renowned name in the field of termite control and removal since the past 26 years. Our special team of trained and certified professionals is highly equipped in delivering the best solutions for all your pest problems. We strive to ensure 100%customer satisfaction and in providing quality services that abide by the Australian and environmental safety standards.
As a company that ensures that you and your family comes first, we ensure that all our resolutions are effective yet safe, thereby helping you provide a pest free and healthy environment for your loved ones. We offer advice, quotes and same day service and use the best quality equipment and products to detect and get rid of termites.
All our technicians undergo a 12-month course from TAFE and once they complete their training, they start working at grade set (3) III. With further on-ground experience, they get promoted to grade set (4) IV in integrated insect management, which is the highest in pest control. Currently, some of our technicians hold the grade set (4) IV, and they are licensed from the Australian Health Department.
We are also members of some of the most premium associations in Australia, namely: National Pest Management Association (NPMA) and The Australian Environmental Pest Managers Association (AEPMA)