Termite Protection Melbourne
The History of Termite Protection in Australia:
Before the use of chemical treatments to eradicate termite infestations, Melbourne and other such areas that were prone to such problems were built in a manner to avoid it in the first place. This was done by raising the floor above ground level, giving birth to the "Melburnians" type of houses while ant caps (steel caps) were fixed to the piers top portion to ensure that any termite building activity was spotted before the house was attacked. Regular inspections were necessary of course.
From the end of the 1950s to the beginning of the 1960s, the application of chemical treatments such as pesticides emerged while builders covered concrete slabs with these pesticides to build the house over it. This new building style seemed to work better than the old termite prevention measures and hence it was considered the key way to building homes.
The disturbing problems of facing side effects from the use of chemicals began to cause fear among people in the 1970s and the 1980s while people resorted to avoiding the use of pesticides in the beginning of the 1990s. The industry of construction then suffered from a stage of confusion as to how to build the ideal home in termite-prone areas while preventing the problem as no other substitute for pesticides seemed to work.
For a while, homeowners remained ignorant of the problem and how to prevent the same as new homes that were constructed were unequipped with prevention methods for the same.
Soon after new methods and products started to hit market shelves and although they weren't as effective as the pesticides that were first introduced, they also didn't possess the side effects as bad as the same.
One of the most significant milestones was that of monolithic slabs, this was because the formation of the slab encouraged it to be a non-destructible barrier against these insects while exposing any of their mud like formations upon itself. This resolution still possesses many limitations.
There have been many forms of progress since then including pre-impregnated termiticidal blankets, non-repellent termiticides, Termite interception and colony elimination systems along with upgrading the level and methods of inspection.
In today's day there exist modern removal and control techniques that need to be performed by certified and trained professionals.
All You Need To Know About Termites in Australia:
Most homeowners do not realise they have these pesky little insects until the infestation gets very bad. The most important species of these pests live underground in a group of two million that each travel up to 50 meters away from their nest in search of food.
These pests are known to travel into and through your home using mud tunnels to hide their activity. They are also known to start devouring walls, furniture or other parts of your home by eating it from the inside out. Even homes built on concrete slabs suffer such a threat.
The Protection Methods
As the above has already proved, termites are a major threat to the well-being of every home in Melbourne and even though most methods may seem unsuccessful, we do have a few effective methods of getting rid of these home devouring creatures.
Below are a few listed methods that can prove effective in protecting your home:
- Termite monitoring: This method helps experts regularly check to see if termites are trying to get into your home.
- Chemical termite barriers: This method can be used at any stage of a building's life and not necessarily only for new constructions.
- Physical Termite Barriers: These are specifically created to prevent these insects from getting near the structure and to drive them out in the open to be spotted instead. These stop subterranean termites from gaining access to your home.
- The Reticulation System: This makes reapplying the chemical barrier to prevent these pesky creatures in an easier manner.
Durable Termite Protection for Buildings & Homes
At Protech Pest Control, we provide both homeowners and builders with durable and cost-efficient termite protection systems to ensure that their buildings and houses are free from these destructive pests. While providing termite protection for homes that are yet to be constructed or newly constructed, we also provide termite protection for older homes that don’t already have a termite barrier installed.
With over 25+ years of experience in dealing with termites and the latest equipment, you can rest assured knowing that our skilled technicians will not fail you. Regardless of your home needs, our highly qualified experts will provide you with the best termite protection plan to keep these pests away from your property.
Pre-Construction Termite Solutions
Whether you are building a dream home or renovating your entire office building, opting for a termite protection plan before the construction even begins is the right way to go about it. You will be taking a huge burden off your chest before the problem even arises by keeping your property safe from termites and preventing any damages. Therefore, you will be able to completely avoid the financial loss of having to pay for any damage repairs.
Tips and Tricks For Termite Prevention
- Follow instructions provided to you by your builder and pest control service.
- Having a termite barrier installed and refrain from disturbing it.
- For homes built on concrete slabs, ensure that all parts of the slab are left open in order to be able to immediately notice any kind of activity by these property destroying creatures.
- Refrain from storing any kind of debris, timber or other cellulose material against the subfloor, near external walls of your home or base of your home as termites, can be drawn to the same.
- Ensure there is no moisture and all surrounding areas are dry including vents to sub-floor areas.
- Avoid having any leaking pipes or taps by getting them repaired as soon as they start leaking.
- Do not use any kind of untreated wood or timber.
- Involve your pest control service in any changes you plan on making to your home.
- Ensure the overflows of your air conditioner or hot water are directed away from your house and properly disposed of.
- Refrain from allowing plants to grow against the structure of your home no matter how much of a greenery lover you are.
- Have dead trees, stumps or plant waste removed from your property.
- Regularly check termite shielding and maintain the same without adding any changes to it.
- Refrain from having house-connecting constructions built like verandahs or pergolas.
- In case of any constructions ensure that the timber formwork is removed and disposed of correctly.
- Have all timber fences and support posts constructed with a 50mm clearance between the timbers and soil.
Why Choose Protech Pest Control Services?
Protech Pest control is a renowned name in the field of termite control and removal since the past 26 years. Our special team of trained and certified professionals is highly equipped in delivering the best solutions for all your pest problems.
We strive to ensure 100% customer satisfaction and in providing quality services that abide by the Australian and environmental safety standards.
As a company that ensures that you and your family come first, we ensure that all our resolutions are effective yet safe, thereby helping you provide a pest free and healthy environment for your loved ones.
We offer advice, quotes and same day service and use the best quality equipment and products to detect and get rid of termites.
All our technicians undergo a 12-month course from TAFE and once they complete their training, they start working at grade set (3) III. With further on-ground experience, they get promoted to grade set (4) IV in integrated insect management, which is the highest in pest control. Currently, some of our technicians hold the grade set (4) IV, and they are licensed from the Australian Health Department.
We are also members of some of the most premium associations in Australia, namely: National Pest Management Association (NPMA) and The Australian Environmental Pest Managers Association (AEPMA)
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Termite Protection Necessary?
As you may have already heard, prevention is better than cure. So yes, termite protection is necessary if you want to keep your property safe from termites and prevent termite damage.
When Should I Get Termite Protection?
It would be great if you could sign up for termite protection pre-purchase or pre-construction. However, even if your building or home isn’t new, you could and should still choose termite protection. Getting your home inspected after every 6 months would be the best way to monitor the efficiency of your barriers and to spot any early signs of an infestation or recurrence.
How Long Does Termite Protection Last?
Depending on the type of protection and treatment you opt for, the longevity would vary. Baiting systems could last you an entire year whereas some treatments could last you for years.
How Much Does Termite Protection Cost?
The cost too depends on which option you choose and if your home is already infested or had a prior infestation.
Is There an Effective DIY Solution?
While there are various DIY solutions available that are referred to as effective solutions, it would be best to get help from a professional expert who is skilled and trained. You might opt for DIY solutions to save on your costs only to later invest much more to get rid of an infestation.
Incredibly happy with the service provided each and every time! Protech are very fairly priced, efficient, honest and go above and beyond to ensure we are happy with their service. Do not hesitate to give them a ring!
- Dimi D