Silverfish Pest Control Services Melbourne
The hunt for the silverfish is a lot easier when you know EVERYTHING about them
Picture this - you go to the basement to search for something. After pulling down a couple of boxes, you suddenly see a flash of silver that quickly disappears before you even figure out what it was.
What DID you just see? If this is the first time you saw something like this, you'd definitely be freaked out. In that case allow us to alert you.
This, my friend, is a type of domestic pest called a silverfish. These little pests are extremely small in size and can be difficult to spot. But to be able to spot them you need to be acquainted with the features that identify them.
Vital stats of a silverfish
Let's start with the looks and mannerisms.
- Silverfish have a silver/grey color like their name suggests.
- Their body has a tapered shape resembling a tear-drop with a tail-like appearance at the end.
- They barely are 12-19mm in size with fine antennae in front.
- These little creatures are serpentine in their mannerisms, slithering away quickly before you even know it.
- They are nocturnal, love the dark and tend to hide there or move towards it.
- They reproduce quickly and lay anything from 2 to 20 eggs a day.
In short, if you don't look into the matter at the earliest it is quite possible that you might land yourself up with a silverfish infestation.
Staple diets of the silverfish
Just like we have a favorite food, they too have their favorite - carbohydrates! Sugars and starches are their most loved food and this is why you will find them clustered or emerging from places with paper, damp, shampoos, clothing, glue in books, linen, silk, linen, plaster, wallpaper, cartons, etc.
They might also feed on dead insects. Basements, bathrooms, attics, and kitchens tend to be their favorite place because they house the kind of food that these insects are attracted to.
Attack of the silverfish
More often than not people only tend to realize they have a silverfish problem in their home once they spot them or spot signs of the infestation.
And what might these signs be you ask?
To start with you can watch out for their pepper-like feces.
Additionally, keep a look out for them in areas of the home they are most likely to access due to them being dark, damp, and sufficient with the food source. If you see a paper, wallpaper or cloth pieces with damage on them you can sure that silverfish are feeding on them.
A silverfish infestation could actually bring about painful health problems.
- They are known to climb into people's ears and lay their eggs.
- Being attracted to dandruff, these insects might be feasting on your head while you sleep!
Now you naturally don't want any of that especially if you have older aged people and children in your family who generally tend to be unsuspecting and whose problems you might learn of only after it has caused much pain and misery.
Stopping the silverfish infestation
They move at an extremely fast pace (you can imagine how hard it might be when you are caught off guard & bump into them).
Warm and humid climates, making cracks, crevices, and cardboard boxes their favorite hiding places (and the most problematic spots for you to reach into).
Fixing plumbing issues, improving ventilation, regular house-keeping practices and controlling the humidity with the help of dehumidifiers can definitely make silverfish want to choose another home. You could also try using home-made sprays; however, such techniques will only help you get rid of silverfish and not the eggs, it definitely doesn't control the infestation.
What's worse is that due to the silverfish pest’s rapid reproduction abilities, if you spot a silverfish you can be sure of it having laid eggs and resulting in an infestation. Getting access to the eggs to destroy them can be difficult because of their size and being located in places tough to reach. To avoid the silverfish infestation getting the better of you and of your home in Melbourne, it is advisable to call a professional to look into the matter. A professional service will bring in the necessary environment-friendly resources and expertise to look into the matter without compromising on yours and your loved one's health.
Get in touch with a professional from Protech Pest Control in Melbourne by calling 1300 486 149 to get rid of the silverfish infestation in your home.
Here's how to go about tackling your silverfish infestation by selecting a professional pest control service that adheres to all these points.
- Find out if they offer same day pest control service (normally)?
- Is their experience in the Pest Control field over 2 decades?
- Are they fully accredited and licensed to carry out pest & silverfish control services from the Victorian government?
- Is their silverfish removal technology up-to-date and environment-friendly?
- Do they have a specialist division for inspections, reports and treatments?
- Finally, do their services guarantee getting rid of the silverfish and ensuring they do not return?