Your home is the place where you feel the safest from both humans and pest intruders. However, often these unwelcomed guests make their way into your home and disturb your surroundings with their presence.
Many people have a favourite spot or place in their house where they feel the safest, comfortable, and vulnerable and often that place is their bedroom. That is why finding weevils in your bedroom suddenly brings a feeling of discomfort, fear, terror and disgust.
But the question that first pops into your mind is, "Why are they in my room?" So let's dive into the cause of their sudden appearance and how to remove weevils effectively from your room.
What are Weevils?
To effectively get rid of them, you must first get to know them! Weevils are small in size and love carb food items. They are a kind of beetle. However, they do not carry their food around but rather live and breed inside it. Any food item with starch such as rice, oats, barley, corn, flour, etc. easily attract them and draw them to your house. That is why you will often find them hidden inside your food storage containers.
Female weevils lay their eggs inside grain kernels by making a hole inside and later sealing it. This process can be repeated countless times, but if there are already eggs laid by another female weevil in the grain, she will not lay her eggs in it. After hatching, the larvae begin eating their way out.
Their larval and pupal stage passes inside the grain, and by the time they have emerged out, they have matured enough to cause more destruction. It is because of their destructive eating habits and reproduction that causes crop destruction globally on a massive scale. However, since the infestation is in your bedroom, the situation is much more manageable.
Common Types of Weevils Found in the Bedroom:
Since they can't resist these kinds of foods, they somehow find their way into packed food, either partly, fully, or by laying eggs in them. When this contaminated food is got into your room as a mid-night snack or a binge-watch snack, it easily allows the weevils present in your food to transfer themselves to your room. That is why bringing food to your room will only invite unwanted pests inside.
Out of the various 80,000+ species, these are the most common ones found in the bedroom:
- Rice Weevils: As the name suggests, they are found in rice and can enter your room if the contaminated rice storage box or rice is brought to your room.
- Seed Weevils: They enter from various seeds, especially the raw seeds.
- Bean Weevils: They enter through bean products brought to the bedroom.
- Wheat Weevils: They enter through wheat products.
How to Get Rid of Them?
First and foremost, do not panic when dealing with them as they are harmless and do not pose a threat to humans. After you have calmed down, you can follow these steps mentioned below to eliminate their presence from your bedroom.
- Step 1: Find the source of the infestation by inspecting your bedroom to identify the entry point and find the infested area. Hint: they probably entered through a source mentioned above.
- Step 2: After you found the source, clean your bedroom, including all the corners, under your bed, or any spot that you feel would be the perfect hideout for them.
- Step 3: Once you have finished cleaning your bedroom, it is time to eliminate the infestation from its root source, your kitchen. Since your pantry is the place it originated from, it is essential to clean your kitchen efficiently and store your food items in sealed containers.
- Step 4: Spray an over-the-counter pesticide all around your home as a finishing touch.
- Step 5: Place Bay leaves around your house as it deters them from entering.
In a nutshell, Weevils can be eliminated easily from your bedroom by following these steps mentioned above. However, if you still find it hard to get rid of them or do not want to handle the situation yourself, you can always call a professional exterminator.